Tuesday, February 10, 2009

C-SPAN Africa

I happen to have had some spare time this afternoon and found myself surfing the tube for a few minutes. Interestingly, four channels (KBC, KTN, NTV and Citizen) were all beaming the parliamentary proceedings live!!!! Quite a disaster if you happen to be rather intolerant or impartial to the politics of the day.

In my disgust, it occurred to me that perhaps we need our own C-SPAN (Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network) or even C-SPAN Africa or something of the like. I wonder what ever became of the idea that parliamentary broadcast channel is needed. What's C-SPAN? Wikipedia says its "an American cable television network dedicated to airing non-stop coverage of government proceedings and public affairs programming. C-SPAN does not accept advertising from external entities, and the only commercials are for its own shows or videos for sale from their website."

C-SPAN Africa appeals to me; perhaps because CNBC-Africa was the only free-to-air channel streaming its normal program line-up. My idea of a C-SPAN Africa would give us insight on Rwanda's high-tech parliament, Tanzania's Swahili debates, a thing or two on Nigeria's and certainly SA's parliaments or their equivalents. Of course the idea wouldn't be complete without (kissing ass) airing Britain's PMQs - I'm not sure how good Gordon Brown is on debates but I admired how Blair could dance around the issues and some how appear to always get out of tight situations.

So who'd finance it given that co's are rather sensitive on political affiliations (Orange aside)? Gov't for one - no MP will pass an opportunity for audience given that the key business of the channel would be to air politics; their life-blood. I'm sure several NGO's would run infomercials and such as would political parties to name a few.

With this idea whose time has surely come, we'll have a better understanding of our own politics as well as pan-African politics and other issues of governance. With it, we'll be better placed to understand the necessity of African integration and play a part in it. ... more importantly, I'll have some entertainment next time I've got some time and turn to the tube for something else other than my beloved nintendo.



Afrigator


Kenyan Blogs Webring Member

No comments:

Post a Comment